The below graphs show the average DPS of hunters of a given talent tree over the course of the last 180 days. The data comes from all the public combat logs uploaded to worldoflogs.com and is parsed and prepared by raidbots. This data is from all raid bosses. DPS increases as gear increases over time. The graphs are a breakdown by raid size.
I include the 10-man and 25-man raid data here. I'm excluding all the heroic raids. There isn't enough data there to be fair to beast mastery. And for the most part, heroic raiders have already leveraged information like this and skew the scales.
In the 10-man normal raid DPS chart we can see that all the specs were very competitive with each other in patch 4.0.x and 4.1.x. But then 4.2 happened. MM and SV received nice benefits from 4.2 in talents and gear. BM continued to plug away on its previous course without much benefit.
When looked at in 25-man normal raids, we see a different picture. SV appears to be at the same level it is in 10-man normal raids. It appears to receive no significant synergy benefit from being in a larger raid with every buff covered. BM however does benefit significantly more in 25-man. But far and away MM leaps to new heights.
Then I looked at what T12 fights MM is not top dog. I was surprised. MM is top on every fight even the AoE-heavy ones like Beth'tilac and Lord Rhyolith. 10-man or 25-man ... it doesn't matter. Mind you, SV is close and very much able to top a particular MM hunter, but the majority of MM hunters do better than the majority of SV hunters in the parses.
Then I looked at the main stand-and-fight boss, Baleroc. SV hunters are doing about 4k DPS higher than BM hunters. And MM hunters are doing about 4k DPS higher than SV hunters there:
31,844.5 27,329.0 23,379.5
- It was true that BM, SV, and MM were all quite close in damage dealing back in the end of June.
- Since July, taken as a whole, MM hunters are topping SV and BM. Often by a lot.
- MM hunters can pump out enough AoE damage to top SV hunters on AoE-heavy fights.
- If you're looking at spending time with a target dummy, you might try swapping out one of your talent trees and try MM.
- But as always, you should always play what you know best and feel best playing. On normal fights, the boss is going to die if everyone is playing well and you are doing reasonable damage.